This shoot was the third occasion where I went for a roam with the intention of looking for daffodils. However, having reflected on my previous work I didn’t really feel moved by the photographs. Using natural daylight and a fast shutter speed to freeze subjects I felt was rather safe, predictable and boring. However, holding on to feedback I previously received in a peer review, I am still holding on to the idea of a floral element potentially working as a metaphor for fragility which I think aligns with the broader theme of male mental health. In carrying out so much research and trying to contextualise my path informed by others I felt in a hole as I could write about a million great photographers without really knowing where to start beyond reading and pulling some semi pertinent quotes in order to vaguely justify my work.
In light of my frustration I will justify this approach by describing my intentions in a more loose form. Looking at my previous portraits, I’ve fallen into a methodology of using on camera flash and using only a 35mm prime lens as a way to control my workflow and develop a reoccurring theme. Over the past few weeks I found myself going back to looking at the work of Todd Hido and Saul Leiter. Both of which share similarities such as excellent use of colour in addition to making images at night encompassing contrast.
As I roamed through the flowers I was quite happy at the contrast within the images, using the flash on its manual setting was delivering a range of outcomes which I felt were less safe and I quite enjoyed looking at them. This was similar to the editing stage where I begun to notice things within the photographs, the unpredictability, colour variation and infinite yet detailed compositions. In order to further the process of experimentation I decided to slow the shutter, using the flash to freeze objects whilst continuing to move the camera. Within my wedding work I would usually do this with a zoom lens. The gallery below is the outcome of my evening of experimentation. The next stage will be to select (if any) relevant work and see how it might work as part of a sequence. The major question I will be interested in over the coming weeks will be to understand if this work has a place within the project.